Saturday, October 17, 2009

Phone Consultation with CCRM...ALL the Details!

Mark and I had our phone consultation with CCRM on Monday, October 12. We spoke with Dr. Minjarez about our case. The conversation was about 1 hour long, and although we didn't get an idea for what other protocols we should be trying, we at least got some good tips.

Dr. Minjarez recommended that I get tested for karyotyping (chromosomal analysis), and that I undergo an integrin biopsy. The integrin biopsy will look to see if you are missing the beta protein that's necessary for an embryo to implant in the uterus. We will be doing a regular endometrial biopsy during my last ivf cycle with Dr. Check. However, you cannot do the integrin biopsy during an ivf cycle. So, it looks like I will be very lucky and get to undergo the procedure twice. Did I mention that it's painful?? She also suggested that I do the clomid challenge test, which apparently would give her a clue as to how I would respond with stims, or if I would even respond. If we don't go with CCRM, I doubt that I would do the clomid challenge, considering I've been doing ivf and they are always able to get at least 6 eggs on a full stim protocol.

Dr. M. recommended that Mark also have karotyping done and a sperm chromatin test. The sperm chromatin test measures the level of dna fragmentation in the sperm, to enhance the diagnosis of and treatment of male infertility.

Based on these recommendations, it's clear that as of right now, we haven't done enough testing to determine if this is female factor or male factor infertility. So, we are still in the category of basically "unexplained."

She also recommended that Mark and I both start on supplements. They take 3 months before you actually see any results, but we will start taking them now, and still do ivf in about 1 month. Here is what she suggested for me:

DHEA: this is supposed to help with stimulation
L-argenine
: this is supposed to help improve egg quality.
For Mark:
Vitamins E and C
Co Enzyme Q
L-carnatine.


I would assume that the above are to help improve sperm count and quality.
Dr. M. did discuss hypotheticals for doing an ivf cycle with her office. When she looked over my past protocols, she seemed to think that going with a gonatropid stimulation (which I have done for all 5) was a potential problem. However, she didn't tell me what protocols she would recommend if we cycled with CCRM. She also told us that we should try our hardest to push for a 5dt as she has seen a 50-60% chance of implantation. This was news to Mark and I. All our other Drs had said that there is no difference between a 3dt and a 5dt. Also, if we are lucky enough to get enough embryos to a 5dt, she would recommend doing CGH (full genetic testing of the blastocysts). If we are able to transfer any blasts that appear normal through CGH, there is a 70-80% success rate.

So, here's what scares me…my fsh level was 3-4 when we first started all this…with normal E2 levels on cycle day 3. Now, my fsh level is around 8 and my E2 levels are over 70. We were able to get 18 eggs with our second ivf cycle, and we took the advice of our then RE and only icsi'd half. None of the conventionally fertilized eggs, fertilized. We have one frozen blast from that cycle. I WILL ALWAYS WONDER…if we did icsi on all of them, if we would have been able to do a 5dt and if I would have a child at this point. It makes me sad thinking about it. After that great egg cycle, we got 8 eggs, 3 eggs (minimal stim), and 7 eggs with our subsequent ivfs. I'm just nervous that I missed my window, and that I will never make more than 7 eggs. Hindsight is 20/20, and although it's out of my control now, I can't help but get upset about what we did or didn't do in the past : (

So, looking forward, if we were to cycle with CCRM (and that's a big IF), we probably wouldn’t start until February, meaning we wouldn't do an IVF cycle until about April. Plus, it's about $20K and Mark and I are completely out of pocket. Again, I get sick just thinking about all of this.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, hon. So much to think about. It must seem very overwhelming right now.

    But, she gave you some great information to think about as you guys move forward.

    I know it is hard, but you can't beat yourself up with the "could haves". You took a Dr.s advice, and his suggestion was not an uncommon one, so how would you have known? I know I question things I have done or not done all the time, and the only thing it really does is bring us down.

    Here is to looking forward.... YOu have more eyes on your case, and that can only be a good thing.

    Good luck.
    :)
    Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please try to not let the ''could have's'' and ''should have's'' get you down. its a rough and tumble ride we are on and even though those thoughts may always be with you, you have to learn to let them go. Its difficult, i know, but we have to keep looking forward. Those things will just add more stress than you need right now. Your consult sounds like it maybe positive, and dr. M gave you some good tips. i've heard about the l-arginine before and i ordered some (powder form) from Amazon, it was inexpensive, but it tastes horrible. when i was cycling (#2 and 3) i made smoothies using this powder, acai concentrate (found in the freezer section of my local grocery store), frozen blueberries, water or orange juice, and sugar or honey to taste. its also available in pill form. I know its all overwhelming (no matter how many times we've been through it), but take it one step at a time, one day at a time. sending you a big hug and keeping you in my thoughts.

    sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe there is a difference in a day three and day five; ours were ICSI with day five. (Mine were day 5; my doctor leans toward them whenever possible.) Also, we had the chromosomal types tested, too, and we were both normal. It's really statistically unlikely that that is the problem. I feel you. I am thinking good thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete